June 10th marks a special day for ballpoint pen aficionados, as it has come to represent one of America’s more obscure holidays – National Ballpoint Pen Day!
The Original Ballpoint Pen
Who would have guessed that European Patent #2390636 would end up protecting the world’s most popular modern writing instrument? Certainly, the inventors of the ballpoint pen knew they were on to something, but the fact that these pens have been produced by the billions shows just how right they were. Today, we honor them with National Ballpoint Pen Day.
History of National Ballpoint Pen Day
On June 10th of 1943, Hungarian brothers Laszlo and Gyorgy Biro walked into a European patent office to declare ownership of their new writing pen design. From this day on, countless ballpoint pens have been enjoyed by writers around the world, and this date has grown into the holiday National Ballpoint Pen Day to celebrate the achievements of these ingenious brothers.
With so many different pen types and labels, choosing the right pen is actually a lot harder than it seems. It’s more than just randomly choosing something to write with. In addition to the pen itself, you also have to decide on the point size, type of ink, and color options. These characteristics can help enhance your overall writing experience with a particular pen. If you’re looking for a new go-to pen that fits your personal writing style and needs, here are a couple pen types to consider.
Ballpoint pens are one of the most common and well-known pen types. The ink used in ballpoint pens is oil based and dries faster than other types of ink. This means less smudging when you’re writing. Since the ink is thick, ballpoint pens use less ink as you write, lasting longer than other pen types. Another point to consider: thick ink is more prone to clumping, so you have to apply more writing pressure. As a result, these pens aren’t the best choice for long writing. But, if you’re just looking for a simple pen for everyday use, ballpoint pens are an easy and reliable option.
With our smartphones and laptops, we’re typing on keyboards more frequently than writing by hand. Typing has become our go-to method of writing for everything, from work emails to personal to-do lists. While typing may be faster and more convenient, research shows handwriting has its own unique advantages.
So, if you’re an avid typist, do yourself a favor and take a look at these key benefits of handwriting vs. typing. Pick up a pad of paper and pen to take some handwritten notes!
Effective Memory Recall
Though a little more time consuming, there are many benefits of handwriting your notes. Longhand notes allow for better short- and long-term memory recall because they contain your own words and handwriting. These can serve as effective memory cues by recreating the context and content from the original lecture or meeting.
Nowadays, you can’t go anywhere without seeing at least one person taking a selfie on their smartphone. Selfies are the most popular type of photos taken on phones, thanks to social media. But, anyone who’s ever taken a group selfie knows how difficult it is to fit everyone into the picture. That is, unless you have a selfie stick! Many people use selfie sticks to help them capture the perfect selfie. If your business is looking for a promotional product that your customers will actually want to use, a custom selfie stick is the way to go.
When you’re thinking about creating promotional products, it’s important to consider what kinds of products will provide long-term value and usage to potential customers. Selfie sticks are great for promoting your business because they’re functional and relevant to customers’ lifestyles. Many people already use selfie sticks, so creating custom selfie sticks with your logo or slogan is a creative promotional tactic.
Promotional marketing gifts run the gamut from drinking tumblers to desk organizers, home and kitchen accessories to automotive gadgets and tools. There are countless options available today. But those who have spent a significant amount of time working or managing a tradeshow, conference, business networking event, or large scale marketing campaign, know that the classic writing pen is an undeniably effective promotional tool. At National Pen, we feel the same way, and we’d like to highlight our five best-selling colorama pens that have proven to be relentlessly effective at winning new business, reinforcing existing relationships, and highlighting virtually any business or organization.
The idea of celebrating love on the 14th of February spawned from a popular account concerning St. Valentine of Rome. It was reported that he performed weddings for Roman soldiers who were, at the time, forbidden to marry. Valentine was later imprisoned for these actions, but made a connection with his jailer by allegedly healing his ailing daughter. Before Valentine’s scheduled execution he wrote the jailer’s daughter a letter and signed the paper “your Valentine” – hence, the first Valentine’s Day card and early history of Valentine’s Day.
From the History of Valentine’s Day to Modern Day
In our modern era, Valentine’s Day is characterized by red-tinged gift boxes, bouquets of roses, shiny gifts, romantic dinners, and other gestures of love. Jewelry stores look at the month of February as their big “holiday season,” while florists work around the clock – prepping for what is certainly the busiest sales week of the year.
Ready… Set… Order! It’s time to score some big points with the football fanatics in your life – and it’s never been easier! Our full assortment of personalized NFL gifts are inventive, powerful, and full of value – just like the top NFL players today! Gifts that combine these three key characteristics will excite your lucky recipients, and they’ll deliver a return on investment that is undeniable. To help you make lasting connections with your personal acquaintances and professional relationships, we’ve assembled a full roster of top-performing, personalized NFL products that will delight football fans of all ages. Best of all, they can be customized with a personal name of your choice for a truly custom gift.
As keyboards and touchscreens continue to dominate our daily lives, the handwritten word has become something of an artform
For almost forty years now, National Handwriting Day has been observed on the 23rd of every January – and it was originally created to firmly emphasize the importance of the handwritten word.
Imagine how the world changed in the 1970s, as the introduction of the microprocessor led to the adoption of early compact business computers in the workplace. Computers became a viable office tool in 1977, when the first purpose-built microcomputers came to market. Interestingly enough, this was the first year that we celebrated National Handwriting Day. Every year since 1977, individuals from around the nation have recognized this day as a celebration of all things handwritten.
You likely spend a lot of time at your desk, so consider today whether your workspace is in need of a serious makeover – if so, take a look at these personalized office items.
Think about the last time that somebody walked by your desk and said “wow that is a really neat…anything!” Chances are that your personal workspace is a utilitarian zone that is in need of a serious makeover – maybe it needs a touch of color or a host of new office items to increase the fun factor and make your life easier. Either way, consider the following seven personalized office items to add a touch of class, color, and usefulness to your workspace:
Custom desk calendar: if your old, marked up, and uninspiring desk calendar takes center stage on your work desk, you might want to consider replacing it with a new, full-color design. Custom calendars are available today with beautiful natural scenes, automotive themes, or virtually any type of graphics or images you are looking for.
Stress balls are designed to induce relaxation and create a sense of peace – here are seven awesome things that you can do with stress balls to minimize anxiety, relax the body, and simply feel better
Most of us are familiar with stress balls. Whether you have one sitting on your desk right now, or you have seen them used in a comical sense among stressed out office workers on TV, there is no doubt that stress balls have arrived in offices across the world – and for good reason! Research shows that using a stress ball can actually enhance emotional stability and deliver significant physical benefits. Knowing this, make sure that you not only have stress balls in your office or workspace, but that you provide them for your customers or prospects to help them improve their sense of positive energy. Here are seven awesome things that you can do with stress balls today to create a better sense of well-being:
1. Tone your muscles: even if you aren’t experiencing stress or anxiety, simply squeezing a stress ball firmly in the hands can help to strengthen the muscles of the forearm, wrists, and hands in no time at all. You can do this practically anywhere – in the office, at home while watching TV, or even in the car.
2. Relax during meetings: many of us feel that our work weeks are nothing more than a series of meetings. If you find yourself getting tired, irritated, bored, or simply disinterested during one of your business meetings, consider using a stress ball to keep your hands occupied and your mind at peace.
3. Play an office game: just because you are at work doesn’t mean you can’t have a little bit of fun. Create an office game that involves tossing your stress ball around the room, earning points along the way for various achievements. Or, try to see how many times you can toss a stress ball back and forth before someone drops it. Whether you decide to do this when the boss is around – that is up to you!
4. Create promotional giveaway packages: if you are planning to market your business or organization at an upcoming large-scale event, like a tradeshow or conference, create preassembled stress reduction packages for your clients or prospects. These gift packs can include a custom stress ball, a back massager, and some custom candies – or anything else that you feel will bring a smile to someone’s face.
5. Play games with your kids: use your stress ball to play catch with your kids at home, without fear of punching a hole in your window glass or putting a bruise on someone’s nose. You can bring several of these home to let your kids learn to juggle without fear, or conduct some informal batting practice in the basement.
6. Massage your feet: during work hours, slip off your shoes under your desk and roll your feet on a couple of stress balls on the ground. This can stimulate acupressure points that provide calming benefits, as well as a boost to your creative thinking abilities.
7. Enhance communication at home: ask your kids or spouse how their day was, and then sit back and listen quietly until it is your time to hold the stress ball. This helps to encourage communication, while minimizing disruptions.